Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Word of Warning About Fake Notes


So my second night in Buenos Aires didn’t go much better than the first, despite a great take-away dinner from a local café. Returning home pretty famished from all the walking, I found the cutest restaurant around the corner, serving up to 20 guests at a time from an upstairs kitchen, with a pulley-system delivering the tasty fare below.

I looked past the massive hunks of beef, and settled on a leaner ¼ chicken and salad, and waited with the locals for it to arrive (although I could have just asked them to send it home for no extra cost). Having eaten up heartily, I soon headed out for a drink and another mini-bite with a Serbian guy Milan, and Christian, and we wind up at a cool place that has a plethora of promo girls stopping by to hand out free Jagermeister and cigarettes. Not bad.

Feeling like it was going to be a good night, we grab a taxi to Crowbar and get a much better club which is unfortunately playing some pretty shoddy music that quickly wears thin. Still wanting to have a proper dance, we decided to push on to another club Bahrain but it is here that the night really gets unstuck.

Handing over a 100 peso note for entry, a swift response comes back with one word “Falso!”. Looking quite astounded, Christian says that it is impossible, that the money came from a bank’s ATM, but she is adamant, and quickly marks it with a big fat “F”. Not having encountered this before, I reach into my wallet to compare it with my own, and recover even more problems.

Lurking beneath a couple of 20s is a mini collection of forged currency – another 100 and a 50 peso note. In short, the rest of my weekend is looking back at me through deep-purple eyes that are five minutes away from being torn up.

3 comments:

Deborah Hunn said...

Is forged currency a particular problem that is happening a lot in Argentina these days? Perhaps travellers should be getting warnings about it?
Also, what was the name of that little eatery you started the evening in?

Collette Swindells said...

Yes, Argentina's economy is still doing pretty badly. One guy I met said that on average, a office clerk job will only pay about USD$900 a month, but after bills, rent or taxes, about only USD$100 is left over for food, entertainment and living. I will have to get back to you on the name of cafe, I have the take-away menu hidden away for when I get back to BA next week. :)

Collette Swindells said...

The cafe is called "Beraldi" on Calle Charcas 4236. :)